Check out the calendar for the availability of Machu Picchu tickets each day.
How do I check the availability of Machu Picchu tickets Online?
- Choose the type of ticket and the schedule (group) of your preference.
- Choose the month and pick the day you want to make your visit.
- Check the available spaces. For example the term ‘200’ means that there are 200 entries available. The ‘0’ (zero) means that spaces are no longer available.
- If you wish to book a Machu Picchu ticket, just click on the day of your choice.
Tickets for the Machu Picchu citadel only
This ticket allows you to visit the archaeological center of Machu Picchu. Tourists can stay up to 4 hours from the moment of their entry. Each entry time allows you to enter during the period of the hour stipulated. For example, if your ticket is for 6am, you can enter anytime before 7am. This does not apply to the extra hikes, see below.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 6:00 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 7:00 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 8:00 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 9:00 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 10:00 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 11:00 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 12:00 noon.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 1:00 in the afternoon.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 2:00 in the afternoon.
This ticket is the basic one to see Machu Picchu and it includes only one circuit (please review circuits), its beautiful landscape, its flora, fauna and its more than 150 archaeological remains. It is the most common entrance to visit this 7th New Wonder of the World. In essence Machu Picchu entrance times are available every hour starting from 6am in the morning to 2pm in the afternoon. Please respect the time allocated on your ticket, times are strictly enforced.
Ticket Machu Picchu + Mountain
In addition to visiting the Machu Picchu Citadel, you can buy an extra ticket to ascend the Machu Picchu Mountain. As a tourist can stay up to 4 hours after the time of your admission to the Machu Picchu Citadel.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 6 am
- Entrance to the Mountain from 7 am to 8 am
- Entrance to the Mountain from 8am to 9am
***You must always respect the scheduled entrance times of 7am or 8am.
This entrance is the perfect alternative if Huayna Picchu is sold out. It allows you to visit the landscapes and archaeological remains of Machu Picchu and, in addition, ascend to the top of the Machu Picchu mountain. From the summit, you have an incredible view down onto the Machu Picchu citadel with the scenic Huayna Picchu behind it. This is where most postcard photos are taken from!
Ticket Machu Picchu + Museum
With this ticket you can visit the city of Machu Picchu in one of its two shifts and the Manuel Chávez Ballón Museum. The schedules are the same as the ticket for Machu Picchu Only.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 6 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 7 in the morning.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 8 in the morning
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 9 a.m.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 10 a.m.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 11 am
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 12 noon
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 1 pm
- Entrance to Machu Picchu from 2 pm
The Machu Picchu Site Museum is open from 9 am to 4:30 pm
Do you want to learn more about Machu Picchu? This ticket is the best option for those who want to learn about the archeological finds at this UNESCO World Heritage site. It includes a visit to Machu Picchu with its archaeological remains as well as the Machu Picchu Museum, where some Inca artifacts found during the excavations are exhibited.
Machu Picchu ticket availability
- Since 2021, tickets for Machu Picchu have been limited to 4,000 visitors per day.
- This measure seeks to improve the preservation of the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
- Since 2021 entrance to Machu Picchu is as follows:
- 1st Session from 6am to 7am
- 2nd Session from 7am to 8am
- 3rd Session from 8am to 9am
- 4th Session from 9am to 10am
- 5th Session from 10am to 11 am
- 6th Session from 11am to 12h
- 7th Session from 12h to 13h
- 8th Session from 13h to 14h.
Tips to find availability and get your tickets to Machu Picchu!
- Do not assume that tickets will be available! A large number of tickets can be sold out in a few minutes. Make your reservation early!
- Keep in mind that at the same time that you see online availability, many agencies and people in different parts of the world are reserving those spaces.
- Some agencies buy Machu Picchu tickets for large groups; so it would not be strange that in the course of 10 minutes over 40 spaces are taken.
- The Huayna Picchu ticket must be booked at least 3 months in advance. In the rainy season, tickets might be available just a month before, but from May through August, they could sell out well over 3 months in advance. This ticket sells out the quickest!
- Although it is rare, there are cases in which a reservation is canceled due to lack of payment within the alloted time. In cases like that, the ticket will be available again.
About availability – Why is there limited availability to Machu Picchu?
- As a measure of protection and conservation, only a limited number of visitors per day can access Machu Picchu and its two mountains.
- The entrance time to the Inca city depends on the type of ticket that is purchased. The schedules of the shifts and groups must be taken into account, according to the type of ticket.
- The trail that leads to the top of Huayna Picchu is very narrow. That is one reason why, for security reasons, the entry is restricted to only 400 visitors per day.
- The Machu Picchu Mountain trail is also restricted to 400 visitors per day.
***This number includes all support staff and is very tightly controlled.
How quickly do Machu Picchu tickets usually sell out?
In general, during the tourist low season (from November to March):
- Ticket Machu Picchu only: a few days in advance
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu: 2 months in advance
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Mountain: a few days in advance
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Museum: a couple of days to a week in advance
During the high season of tourism (from April to October):
- Ticket Machu Picchu Only: one month in advance
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu: 3 months before
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Mountain: 1 month in advance
- Ticket Machu Picchu + Museum: 1 month to a week in advance
Why book now?
- If you want to visit Machu Picchu, do not waste time! Book it now and secure your entry to the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu.
- The demand for tickets to Machu Picchu goes up every year. This also allows the government to raise the prices of the entrance tickets.
- Every year, it is more difficult to enter Machu Picchu. Do not miss the opportunity to visit the magical city of Machu Picchu or the amazing mountain Huayna Picchu!
- Reserve your entrance for 2024 starting as early as October 2023. Don´t get left behind. Tickets are available to purchase
If you find tickets available, book immediately! In the case of the Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu ticket, it’s recommended to book up to 3 months in advance.
Are there discounts on the price of the Machu Picchu ticket?
- Discount for minors
Children under 8 years old get in free. However, you must still reserve their ticket. Children of any age are not allowed to enter without a ticket! Children from 8 to 17 years old also get a discount. To do this they must send a copy of their passport.
- Discount for students
Students who have a university card can attain a discount on the price of their Machu Picchu ticket. According to government regulations, University ID cards must show the full name and photo of the student, along with an expiration date for that single academic year. To do this they must send the digital copy of the current university card.
- Discount for CAN members
People belonging to the Andean Community of Nations (CAN): Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia have a discount on the price of the Machu Picchu ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions about entering Machu Picchu
Does Machu Picchu close at any point during the year?
Machu Picchu remains open for a good part of the year. It´s only closed during the month of February for maintanance.
Is the availability shown here official?
Yes, the availability for Machu Picchu tickets shown here is official and automatically updated in real time. The numbers are official statistics of the Ministry of Culture of Peru. We do however recommend you contact us directly becuase availability on Machu Picchu tickets can change in a matter of seconds.
Can I buy the Machu Picchu ticket in Cusco?
When you try to buy tickets in the city of Cusco, a few days before your visit to Machu Picchu, you run the risk of finding all tickets sold out. In the case of the ticket Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu, it is impossible to get tickets only a few days in advance. The reservation for Huayna Picchu must be made online and at least 2 months in advance.
If I find availability, how do I book my Machu Picchu ticket?
If you find availability, proceed with the reservation in 3 simple steps:
1. Fill in your personal information on the booking form. (make sure all personal information is accurate, exactly as it appears in your passport)
2. Send your documentation through an email and make the respective payment for the value of your Machu Picchu ticket.
3. Look for your Machu Picchu ticket in your emails. Print it and go!
How far in advance should I book my Machu Picchu ticket?
Booking online today ensures you a ticket to the Machu Picchu citadel. However, this reservation must be made in advance. It is recommended to book tickets at least 1 week in advance. For the Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu ticket, 3 months before.
Can I get availability if I book a Machu Picchu Ticket at the last minute?
Sometimes, it´s possible to buy a Machu Picchu Ticket at the last minute. The minimum time to make the reservation online is 3 days with the exception of a ticket for Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu (2 months before).
Does the availability of tickets include children?
Yes! Children under 8 do need to look for availability, even though they do not pay an entrance fee. They must have an identity document that proves their age.
Huayna Picchu is sold out! What do I do?
Unfortunately, Huayna Picchu tickets sell out pretty fast. Nothing can be done if there is no longer availability. It is recommended to book the ticket at least 3 months in advance.
If the Machu Picchu ticket is sold out on my preferred date, can I book from one year to another?
The reservation of tickets for the following year is enabled around October the previous year. However, it is possible to reserve Machu Picchu tickets before they are open to the public. In cases like these, the tickets will be sent to your email as soon as they are released. This is due to the logistics established by the Ministry of Culture of Peru.
What is high season or low season for tourism and how does it affect availability on Machu Picchu tickets?
High season is when we have the most tourists in Cusco and Machu Picchu. It runs from April to October. During this time period, it is more difficult to get tickets for Machu Picchu. That is why reservations must be made at least 1 month in advance (3 months for the Huayna Picchu Ticket). The low season runs from November to March. In these months it is less difficult to find availability. The reservation must be made 1 week in advance (2 months for the Huayna Picchu Ticket).
Is it difficult to get availability for the Inca Trail?
The Inca Trail is the 4 day and 3 night trekking route to the Inca City of Machu Picchu. Only 200 tickets are available per day. It is recommended to make the reservation at least 6 months in advance. Tickets go on sale every October for the following year. If you plan to trek from April to August, you should pick your dates in September so that you can buy tickets the day they go on sale. The most popular dates sell out as soon as they go on sale!
Is it difficult to get availability on train tickets to Machu Picchu?
The train tickets that transport visitors to the town of Aguas Calientes (at the foot of Machu Picchu) also have limited availability. We recommend you book them immediately after getting your tickets to Machu Picchu.
Comments... there are no comments.
All the information is free and precise. I don't get paid for publishing any agency or tour, and everything has been verified and experienced.01
Everything in this blog has been doublé checked by a local, we made the effort on gathering all this information for you, to make your trip easier and cheaper.02
99% of the information has been lived by a traveler like you, me, I wanted to compile all the information I had to make every traveler life easier.03
Best and only the best
We gathered the best information for you. All this has been investigated and visited only to bring you the best CSelf-made blog. All the information is free and precise. I don't get paid for publishing any agency or tour, and everything has been verified and experienced.04