Humantay Lake Hike
Here is the most updated information for the Humantay Lake hike
We do highly recommend doing the trek with a Licensed Tour Operator, you can get it as cheap as 100 soles (33 USD) for transportation and food (breakfast and lunch). As with all treks and tours, shop around because you get what you pay for.
If you want to go by yourself here is how you get there:
Start early, because it is not close to Cusco. You will have to take a car from Cusco to Mollepata, at the Arcopata bus terminal (S/ 20.00) which takes about 1 hour and 40 min. In Mollepata, you will have to find a place where you can have breakfast (S/ 10.00). After breakfast, you have to hire the services of a taxi driver to take you to Soraypampa, the taxi will charge you an approximate of S / 70.00 and if by chance there are more people who want to go, the price per person will go down. You should also budget for the entrance to Lake Humantay (S / 10.00).
After arriving in Soraypampa, you will have to walk for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes to reach the Humantay Lake. If you do not want to walk, you can rent a horse. The first 30 minutes of walking is not steep and the rest is a definite uphill.
You have to consider that there is no regular transportation to return to Soraypampa. I recommend that you negotiate with the taxi driver to wait for you or come to pick up, enter here your skills to negotiate prices. If there is no transportation available when you come down from the lake, there are lodgings that range from 20 to 40 soles. There are also camping areas (take your tent) where you can stay. If you plan to camp, make sure you have a very warm sleeping bag since it is very cold at night.
Also if you are really adventurous you can swim in the lake, its really cold though!
Classic itineraries Humantay lake trek 1 or 2 days
Itinerary for the 1 day Humantay lake trek:
- 01 CUSCO – HUMANTAY LAKE – CUSCO:Our day begins in Cusco when we are picked up from our hotel lobby at 4:30am to drive 3 hours to the starting point of the trek at Soraypampa located in the lush valley of the Apurimac River, where we will enjoy a hot breakfast prepared by our chef and fuel up for the hike ahead of us.We travel uphill along a beautiful trail called the Camino Real and get higher in altitude. After reaching a tiny village with very few amenities, we continue even further uphil for about 1,200 feet in just 2 miles up a steep path. After conquering the last hill, we will gaze down on a turquoise lake below, which is surrounded by steep peaks and an impressive glaciers. The hike is dominated by Salkantay Peak, one of Peru’s most sacred mountains, 20,600 feet tall with towering snowcapped peaks. The equally impressive Humantay Peak, rising 19,412 feet, is also within view. Once we reach the presumably sacred lakeshore, we relax, enjoy a snack, go for a swim (if you want to join the Polar Bear club) or give thanks to Pachamama (Mother Earth). We will hike downhill to Soraypampa when we are ready and have a hot lunch while enjoying the breathtaking panoramic views and landscape. We drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your hotel.
Itinerary for the 2 days Humantay lake trek:
- 01 CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA – HUMANTAY LAKE – SOYROCCOCHA: We will pick you up from your hotel at 5:00am for a 3.5 hour private transfer to Soraypampa (Starting point of the Trek). Along the way, we will see some indigenous villages such as Iscuchaca and Limatambo. In addition, we will have excellent views of valleys and the snow-capped Salkantay Mountain. At the trailhead (Soraypampa), we have some snacks while enjoying views of Humantay (5,900m / 19,356ft) and Salkantay (6,217m / 20,396ft) mountain glaciers. We embark on a 1-hour hike up to Humantay Lake while enjoying the amazing views around us. Upon arrival at Humantay, we take time to explore the lake and its surroundings. After time at Humantay Lake, we head back to the trailhead at Soraypampa and then hike 2 more hours to our campsite located at Soyroccocha. There, we enjoy tea time and then dinner before calling it a day.
- Meals: Lunch – Afternoon Tea Time – Dinner
- Accommodation: Camping facilities – Large 4-person tents for every 2 trekkers to have space and comfort
- Distance: 10kms / 6 miles
- Time: Approximately 6 Hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
- 02 SOYROCCOCHA – SALKANTAY PASS – GLACIAL LAKE COLPAPAMPA – CUSCO: After a nice breakfast, we have a moderate climb for aprroximately an hour to reach the highest point of the trek (4,650m / 15,367ft). From here, we rest and relax while enjoying the views of the Salkantay (6,217m / 20,717ft), Humantay, and Huayanay snowcapped mountains, the white water rivers and the humble lakes. Off the main trek route, we take a side trek for half an hour to enjoy the panoramic views and the shockingly turquoise Salkantay Lake. Returning to our primary trek route, we hike down to the trailhead again, where we have lunch, and then we take our private van back to Cusco, arriving around 6pm in the evening. Time to celebrate!
- Meals: Breakfast – Lunch
- Distance: 12kms / 9 miles
- Time: Approximately 7 Hours
- Difficulty: Challenging
The 2 days Humantay Lake Trek itinerary was provided by Orange Nation Peru